2.0 Q&A

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
Mrs. Madgarden

Re: 2.0 Q&A

Post by Mrs. Madgarden » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:15 am

SybrJH wrote:Any chance the powers that be would allow some more testers/backers? I would love to donate to the cause if it would help this thing to see the light of day. Even if it's a long while, I still would love to participate. Been kicking myself for the last 3 1/2 years for not joining in the kickstarter. :(
Hi SybrJH,

I'm thinking probably not...the issue isn't about needing more testers. The problem is just having a developer that can do the work fast enough while getting paid little (or in our case, paid nothing)...it just simply is difficult.

I cried when this kickstarter funded...not from joy.
Rachel-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.-unknown

SybrJH

Post by SybrJH » Tue May 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Mrs. Madgarden wrote:Hi SybrJH,

I'm thinking probably not...the issue isn't about needing more testers. The problem is just having a developer that can do the work fast enough while getting paid little (or in our case, paid nothing)...it just simply is difficult.

I cried when this kickstarter funded...not from joy.
Are the funds from the 2012 kickstarter campaign about gone? Hopefully that is not the case. =(

ssnake

Post by ssnake » Thu May 07, 2015 4:29 am

Backer here, honestly been super disappointed with how things have been handled. Its been years overdue now. I know for a fact that Madgarden seriously put his heart and tears into all that time developing this up until he stepped away.

Honestly, when I backed the project I had assumed nearly all the funds(After the backer reward money was set aside) were going to be paid to Madgarden to develop the game.. Then Jeff/Madgarden recoups from sales at a rate they agreed upon. I think he deserved that much, just through digging up details and witnessing the shortcomings of the others "involved" in this project. I don't know what Jeff has going on in his life, but it is very, very hard to get to him. And when you do get in contact, I get the impression that he can be a really hard person to work with.. This is all from experience from having spoken to him a few times. I have no ill will towards him, but my gut tells me he was a big reason this fell apart in the way it did.

That's what sucks about developing a project of an IP not owned by you.. Things out of your hands can really screw you over. I was so happy to see the Kickstarter funded, not knowing what it really meant behind closed doors. Seriously, Paul(Madgarden) should have been given the funds to do what he saw fit to complete this game. Jeff has stated in a Kickstarter post at one point that all the funds had been untouched in an attempt to ease the minds of the backers, but honestly, that statement made my jaw drop! This was already more than a year after funding if I recall correctly. Was he holding back pay until the game was finished?! I've had some tough points in my life, eating a small bag of M&M's a day for a week at a time to make rent. I would never, NEVER work for free.

Obviously I'm making a few assumptions, but that's all I really can do without being directly involved with the project or being informed. Please correct me if I'm wrong! I understand that lots of people don't like to share the inner workings of project development, but when you're asking the consumer for money to develop a product I feel they have the right to be kept in the loop. The Kickstarter updates have been sad and uninformative for years now.. If you haven't kept up, its been mostly this: Promises from Jeff, then nothing from Jeff, backers complain, Jeff comes back to apologize and makes vague promises again, doesn't follow through, rinse, repeat. The backer-only forums are barren. Anthony of ViridianGames is the best thing to happen to the project in a long time, but it seems that personal life problems has really held him back as of late. I wish him all the best, he seems like a really good guy.

I seriously wish this project would be finished, with the same vision Paul had for it. I truly feel that it won't, and other backers don't think it'll ever even be finished.. Look at the comments section on the Fargoal Kickstarter, its public and speaks volumes. As of right now, the latest Fargoal 2 beta version 0.6.0 was released 05-17-14.. Almost a full year since anything new has been released to backers.

Its a bit sad, maybe more than a bit. Mrs. Madgarden, thanks for sticking around here. I really feel you and Mr. Madgarden wanted all the best for this project, and that shines through in the newer versions of Fargoal. I really appreciate the both of you.

bloewenberg

Post by bloewenberg » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Hope that "unspecified" is soon ... the FTC has started to take notice of other Kickstarter funded vapor-ware.

https://gma.yahoo.com/ftc-goes-crowdfun ... ories.html

ssnake

Post by ssnake » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:57 am

I don't think it'll come to that bloewenberg, and I don't want it to. The game is being developed, albeit slowly. All the people who backed at a high enough level (I believe 8$ and above) have a copy of the beta which is a definite upgrade to what was Fargoal for IOS. It hasn't been updated in a while, but its in a very playable state. A new beta should also be arriving soon(fingers crossed).

Like I said, not happy with how things have been handled. Things are getting done though, with a UI overhaul being the next thing on the to-do list. Keep in mind that for a huge gap of time post-Kickstarter no one was working on it. Once Anthony was hired things picked up again.

In case you don't know, the updates to Fargoals Kickstarter are public if you want to check in on it. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... tu/updates

Mrs. Madgarden

Post by Mrs. Madgarden » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:38 am

SSnake, you are correct. Madgarden worked for free for years on this game. I had to figure out how to raise 3 kids on less than 20K and still keep my house with a partner who worked 12-14 hrs a day for no pay. It hasn't made for a good relationship with anyone. We had to refinance our house and live on that money to make it through until we had no choice to step away and work on other projects. This game has taken so much of our resources that we'll never see all of it back. We've received maybe a couple thousand dollars to date for all the work. I have no idea what Jeff is up to. Every 4-6 months we'll get an email for a pity party and how much he'd REALLY like to get this game to be finished....and then nothing for months again. Apparently wishing doesn't get anything accomplished! Who knew! I knew the Kickstarter was a bad idea from the get go but you can't appear "non supportive" in the public eye...Thanks for taking a look deeper into what might possibly be going on with this instead of jumping to the conclusion of "lazy dev! Stole my money! Vaperware!" I appreciate that very much. Thank you.
Rachel-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.-unknown

ssnake

Post by ssnake » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 pm

No thanks needed! I appreciate you shedding some more light on the subject! If only the internet weren't such a toxic place, a lot of people love to grab their pitchforks before knowing exactly what they're fighting for. Paul has done amazing work in my eyes! Just from the few times we've spoken and witnessing how hard he works, hes a person I'm happy to say I look up to and respect.

I wish all the best to the both of you, I love what I've seen of the projects Madgarden has been a part of, and am eagerly waiting for Death Road to Canada! Looks like it'll be another fun one, and am very sad I missed the Kickstarter for that beta!

GregorySuh

Post by GregorySuh » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:37 pm