Weapons

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
StevenP

Weapons

Post by StevenP » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:11 pm

I like how I can find a dwarf and take his sheild after defeating him, but, what about weapons or equipment? It'd be nice if we could pick up other equipment from enemies such as different weapons (swords, axes, etc.), amulets, etc.

Also, is it just me or does it seem harder to come by sheilds in the lower levels? That's where we need them the most, and, besides, they get smashed pretty easy against stronger foes such as trolls.

Also, just for the sake variety (even if it is only superficial) it'd be nice to find jewels in place of money at times.

Anyways, great game. I am looking forward to version 2.0. Any time frame for that?
I use to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure...

madgarden

Re: Weapons

Post by madgarden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:33 pm

You mean, something like this?

;)

The shields are pretty randomly distributed currently. In 2.0, it's *all* going to change though. The dungeon will seem very purposeful in its construction and where you find various items.

Time frame for 2.0 is around end of September-ish.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

StevenP

Post by StevenP » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes, exactly like that!

BTW, when you say "The dungeon will seem very purposeful in its construction" is this because you have changed the random dungeon generation algorithm? I do love the random element of the game and if you are improving on it, then that will be great.

Anyways, it's going to feel like forever until version 2 comes out. :P

StevenP

Formal Complaint

Post by StevenP » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:26 pm

BTW, I'd like to make a formal complaint about version 2.0 before it is even released. If the current version is already a major time sucker for me I can only imagine how many hours I'm going to be spending on version 2. Darn you, Madgarden!! :P I figured I'd better make that complaint now because I won't have the time after it's released. :lol:

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Heh, sorry 'bout that. ;)

The dungeons will still be very random, they just won't be so randomly random... you know what I mean? The layout of the dungeon will feel more purposeful, logical, and natural, rather than just a dungeon here, a cave there, etc. Same goes for item placement. There will still be stuff scattered around, but there will be more stuff in places where it makes sense. It will all have a very rich, varied feel, like a sort of dungeon ecosystem.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

StevenP

Post by StevenP » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 am

BTW, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but I think the "Confused" state is a nice touch. It's little things like that that can really help make a game enjoyable.

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:14 am

Glad you like it. More states to come. :)

StevenP

Post by StevenP » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 pm

You could always do an "Adam Sandler" state where you see clowns on stilts and midget cowboys on tricycles. :lol: Just kidding.

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:22 pm

:shock:

StevenP

Post by StevenP » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:54 pm

madgarden wrote::shock:
Okay, you haven't seen any Adam Sandler movies like Billy Madison (where I got the clown and midget on a tricycle from). ;)