Stolen Sword!!!! GAaah! Couldn't get it back!

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
Avon Fox

Stolen Sword!!!! GAaah! Couldn't get it back!

Post by Avon Fox » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:16 am

First up, I loved the game on the C=64 and am amazed that the iPhone version is one, great and two, much cheaper than my folks would have paid for the first version I had.

So there I am, after slugging through the dungeon, compulsively unlocking all the maps I could on the way, searching through countless rubble piles and picking up everything I can I finally, after almost thirty years hold the Sword of Fargoal in my hands.

A great moment.

Then what the Hell?! Some lizard guy pinches it and does a runner!
I’m laughing about it and chasing him, and chasing him, and…

…I’m literally right behind him bar when I’m not getting stopped by all manner of attacking bats, barbarians and bullsh… only to finally get The Sword back but with seconds remaining to get out, which still being on level seventeen wasn’t possible.

I have to say, it’s a fun feature but totally killed any player enjoyment or sense of achievement as I simply couldn’t catch the guy.

If you take suggestions, I’d recommend adding a pause to the fleeing enemy's running at random intervals or make his ability to 'flee' combat limited when holding The Sword. I’m sure the very open layout of that randomly generated map didn’t help but there really was no way to catch him.

All in all a great game and VERY worth the miserably small amount of pocket change to buy.

C’mon guys! T-Shirts! Pins! Stickers!!!
“I spent a week in a dungeon and all I got was this Sword of Fargoal!”

'von

JackHagan

Re: Stolen Sword!!!! GAaah! Couldn't get it back!

Post by JackHagan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:41 am

Well, I'll tell ya, Avon Fox... we've all been there. The devs for this game are a couple of sadistic buggers, and they don't mind saying so themselves. :lol: Losing the sword, or getting killed mercilessly by some badly-placed trap... it's all part of the experience.

If you played this on the C64, you probably remember the crazy difficulty... It hasn't lost any of it's hardcore deadliness. If you haven't tried Legend mode yet, give it a whirl. You'll see what I mean. If you can make it past the first floor on your first try at legend, consider yourself fabulously lucky.

However, I do have a couple of tips for you on your next playthrough... You said the sword got nicked by a Lizardman? There's an amulet that they are terrified of, and won't come near you as long as you're wearing it. Also, regardless of what steals the sword, blasting the thief in the face with something that knocks them out cold will let you walk up and mercilessly slaughter them and grab that sword right back. If you happen to be out of charges for that wand, getting close and casting a light spell will cause them to stagger around for a few turns and run into walls and such, but it pretty much ruins any subsequent Invisibility spells for a while.

Don't get discouraged! Happy Crawling!
Signed,

Jack, Unflagging Minion of MadGarden.

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:45 am

Hi Avon Fox, yeah it's a pain right? Did you play the original C64 version, have the Sword stolen? Do you remember what happens? The sword gets teleported back down to the middle of the maze and you have to trudge down there and rescue it again. I think our new way is a bit better. ;) Either way, victory isn't guaranteed once you find the Sword.

There are ways to stop those pesky thieves if you have managed to find a few wands. Also, invisibility works well during a chase. And 2.0 will be greatly expanding your hunting options as well. I will, however, take a look and see if there are some fair ways to handicap the sword thief without it being a cop-out.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

JackHagan

Post by JackHagan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 am

madgarden wrote:I will, however, take a look and see if there are some fair ways to handicap the sword thief without it being a cop-out.

:o

Don't tell me you're going softie on me... :lol:

Though it does kinda make sense... Trying to sprint away as fast as possible does have it's hazards, especially on uneven dungeon floors... maybe turn the sprite sideways for a moment, and add some flavor text... it would be epic hilarity to see "Warlord Tripped!" :mrgreen:
Signed,

Jack, Unflagging Minion of MadGarden.

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:28 pm

No of course I won't go soft. ;) And actually, there are more ways to interfere with a sword thief than you guys seem to have discovered yet. Still, the thief AI should do imperfect things at times, or make risky moves.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

Avon Fox

Post by Avon Fox » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Oh yes, I remember the countless 'nooooo!' moments of the C=64 version.
Then again, I was six.

I think the iPhone version is brilliant, but at emotionally crippling moments like this in a man's life, where the people around you have no idea why you want to break with your usually eco-friendly demeanour and to go outside and stamp on a lizard, you have to talk to those that understand your pain. ;)

Now, can I justify an iPad, just to play Fargoal, hmmm, hmmm.

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 pm

The iPad version is so much nicer to play, in my opinion. The updates for iPad do come somewhat slower though, but at least 2.0 should arrive about the same time on iPad and iPhone.

Hivner

Post by Hivner » Fri May 08, 2015 1:51 am

Yeah i agree with that opinion sir.. i also plying this game on my ipod and can say this is really coll.. like to handle a weapons on the ipod.