Why I quit playing Fargoal

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
Blackhart

Why I quit playing Fargoal

Post by Blackhart » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 am

I could not stand taking all the time to explore a level and then trigger the trap that erases all your progress on the map. It seemed to happen all the time. If the devs remove that trap I think I'd be a big fan but that took all the joy away for me.

Duff

Re: Why I quit playing Fargoal

Post by Duff » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:39 am

Hi Blackhart,

It's worth sticking with it I promise! Although it can be annoying losing your map I find that this tend to happen rarely, but when it does it can occur up to three or four times in a row (for some reason). A couple of days ago I found one map where every single chest on it exploded, and I lost the map more than once which was very annoying - but it hasn't happened to me since (through four or five more levels and up to four maps per level). At least when you lose your map it is normally only the map that you are on, and not adjoining maps or levels. It's normally a very simple procedure to run around that one map again.

Give it another go - you may yet discover why so many people find it addictive.

Duff

Blackhart

Post by Blackhart » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:17 pm

I might give it a shot again but this is an aspect of the game that just is not fun so wish they would take it out. I don't mind other bad events but having the map get erased (and it seemed to happen frequently to me) took all the joy of exploring out of the game. When I play dungeon crawlers I like to explore every level for goodies but constantly getting the map erased makes that nearly impossible.

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Blackhart wrote:I might give it a shot again but this is an aspect of the game that just is not fun so wish they would take it out. I don't mind other bad events but having the map get erased (and it seemed to happen frequently to me) took all the joy of exploring out of the game. When I play dungeon crawlers I like to explore every level for goodies but constantly getting the map erased makes that nearly impossible.
Hey Blackhart,

Sorry the map thing is so frustrating to you. I get why you don't like it. As you might imagine, certain traps and game behaviors are either fun or annoying to different people. While the map thing may be frustrating to you, pits may be frustrating to others (and fun for some).

Your comment is noted, however. Sometimes there are clever new tweaks that we can think of to make certain traps or occurrences more fun — or provide protections or remedies if we leave them in — so we will think about that.

Overall we hope you will continue to try the game, despite your misgivings. We think you will find continued richness and depth being offered as the game continues to evolve. And in the mean time I wish upon you that you lose as few maps as possible!

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord,
Fargoal, LLC

Blackhart

Post by Blackhart » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Jeff, I appreciate your point. I wasn't sure if my opinion about the map trap was generally universal (in which case it probably makes sense to get rid of it or tone it down if most people find it detracts from the fun) or was in the minority. If I am the only one who has brought it up, its probably the latter, although there is a chance there is a silent majority.

Anyway, whether you decide to modify it or not, it is always great to know the game developers are listening and shows a lot of class. I will definitely give Fargoal another go and try to relax my obsessive compulsive need to map everything :roll:

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Blackhart wrote:Jeff, I appreciate your point. I wasn't sure if my opinion about the map trap was generally universal (in which case it probably makes sense to get rid of it or tone it down if most people find it detracts from the fun) or was in the minority. If I am the only one who has brought it up, its probably the latter, although there is a chance there is a silent majority.

Anyway, whether you decide to modify it or not, it is always great to know the game developers are listening and shows a lot of class. I will definitely give Fargoal another go and try to relax my obsessive compulsive need to map everything :roll:
You are welcome. Funny about your obsessive compulsive comment. I could see how the map disappearance would be the bane of that approach! hmmmm. Perhaps all the more reason to leave it in?! — Oh, sorry. My dark side coming out. ;^)

— Jeff

Blackhart

Post by Blackhart » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:05 am

Hehe, don't get any evil ideas. Well, I fired it up and have to say not only is Fargoal fun, but much improved from the time I had given it up. There is tons of new content that I do not recall being there - shields, barrels, picking locks, more traps, etc. I must have been a Fargoal 1.0 player at the time I retired due to constant map loss because I don't remember any of that. The game really has developed into something special. Congrats!

I've had one map loss in about 4 levels. Sure it hurt, but with all the new goodies to find, I was motivated to continue on to see what else has been added. I look forward to continuing the journey!

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:16 am

Ahh, yeah, the current version is leaps and bounds above 1.0. :) Glad you're enjoying it again. I did actually tone down the map loss some builds back, because the original C64 game was really aggressive with them.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

JackHagan

Post by JackHagan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Plus, one thing to keep in mind is the fact that when you lose your map, you only lose it for that one "map." You retain all other maps on that dungeon level, as well as all other levels. Plus, it can lead to some pretty humorous moments. I trotted down some stairs the other day, and was pleased to find that I had a treasure map! I ooh'd and aah'd at all the pretty chests and piles of gold waiting for me. I happily skipped ONE SQUARE away from the stairs to a nearby chest, and BOOM! Map was gone. It was such an instantaneous triumph/defeat moment I couldn't help but laugh... :roll:
Signed,

Jack, Unflagging Minion of MadGarden.

Mrs. Madgarden

Post by Mrs. Madgarden » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 pm

*snickers*
Rachel-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.-unknown