Potions and Secret Doors, etc...

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
Duff

Potions and Secret Doors, etc...

Post by Duff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 am

Well, I've been playing SoF on the iPhone for about a month now, and loving it - so thank you to all those responsible for developing it!

Now on to my first question... I realise that the premise behind rogue-likes is to experiment, but I've died so many times over the last few weeks that I would really like to have some idea of what my 'mystery potion' will do before I use it. If it's going to be very helpful later on (and deeper down) then I'll hold on to it; if it's going to be harmful then I'll give it a miss. Either way my concern is that, use it or not, I may end up dead again!! I've got 2 of these potions now and am too wary to try them (or waste them).

On the subject of secret doors, are they randomly dotted around, or are they programmed to appear once per level (or something similar)? Just as the maps are random, but there always seems to be 4 maps per level (except once when I found 3 and no way to access the 4th, even when going up and down every set of stairs on the levels either side...).

And some random requests/suggestions/questions while I’m thinking about this:

1. Can you please put a cap on the number of magic sacks that you can find or are generated! I could really do with more potions or spells. I’m on level 12, search every level religiously, and have only found 2 light spells and 3 shield spells so far, but have 21 magic sacks!!

2. Is it a glitch when every single chest on one map is exploding, or is that a deliberate ploy to kill me off again? Every single one…

3. What’s a ‘wonk’ that I keep seeing people talking about? (Real n00b question that one!)

4. How are additional hitpoints per level calculated, as I only seem to have received 2 per level for the last 3 or 4 level-ups..? I’m starting to feel quite weak and vulnerable… (And is it the same calculation as for battle skill?)

I’m sure that more questions will come to mind, and I’ll post any other suggestions in the correct topic thread at some point too. Sorry for the brain-dump!

Thank you :)

Duff

Re: Potions and Secret Doors, etc...

Post by Duff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:23 am

And after all of that, I've just been killed by a Warlock on level 13... Oh well, back to the start, again!

But whilst I'm thinking about creating a new character, do your initial levels of hits and battle skill impact at all on how much they go up each time you increase in level? Or is this an entirely random occurrence up to a certain point, when you then start increasing by 2 hits per level?

JackHagan

Post by JackHagan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Hey, Duff! Welcome to the fold!

As for Mystery Potions... they're exactly that. They can be helpful or annoying, though I've never had one do something downright BAD. I've had them function as Agility potions, and I've had them cause Levitation and Confusion (things that usually only happen from Shrooms) which, like I said are annoying, albeit funny. I've never had one do something really nasty like poison me, though I wouldn't put it past Madgarden. :D If you're leery about them, I'd just hold off and use them when you're fairly beefed up, on a relatively safe level.

I rarely find more than one secret door per level, though it DOES happen. Once in a blue moon, you might even find a secret inside a secret. As far as I can tell, it's pretty well random, though with careful searching, you can find at least one on nearly every map. And you're right (for now) about there being four maps per level, that is currently coded in, from what Madgarden has said. When 2.0 comes out, though, it'll be pretty much limitless. As for the one level that you found with only three maps, that fourth one is usually only accessible through one staircase, often from underneath, and usually leads to a Centipede Lair. Not a nice place, and not fun to stumble into when you're dashing to the surface with the Sword. But, as Madgarden would say, that's the whole point. :D

As for the rest...

1. I can't say if there can be a cap on it, as I'm not Madgarden, but I can say that you don't want there to be one. There will come a time, deeper in the dungeon, where you'll be blessing those sacks.

2. Nope, that's not a glitch. Chest traps, like everything else, are random. You just happened to get a really bad roll for that level. (Madgarden, stop it. I can hear you cackling from here, and I'm half a continent away.) They do seem to be more common in the "Hall" (well lit, with braziers, barrels and tables) and "Dungeon" (dark, claustrophobic, lots of floor grates, and maze-like) maps. Those are my names for them, by the way, if there are official names for the map types, I don't know them.

3. The Wonk is my favorite item, and one which I fear will be soon phased out, if it hasn't been already. It's a mistake. A non-item. It only appears when a chest which previously carried gold is crushed (by a troll, dragon, etc...), which triggers a glitch. This makes it very rare, despite being entirely useless. I just love it because I enjoy seeing "You found Wonky!" show up on my scrolling text. :D

4. Hitpoints come by the bucket-full for the first several level-ups, then taper off sharply. As Madgarden says, when you've reached a certain level, you're Chuck Norris. You can't improve on perfection. Don't despair, though, because enemies go through the same process. They too reach a similar HP cap, to keep the game balanced and (relatively) fair. Also makes for faster, tenser, and more dangerous battles. As for the Battle Skill, I don't think that really improves with levels. If it does, it's not by much. Battle Skill improves constantly, simply by fighting. You earn it more quickly for fighting stronger foes, but you earn it constantly none the less. The only other way I know of to improve your battle skill is to be in possession of one or two of a very nifty little artifact.

As for your other post...

Wait... Warlock? Could it have been a Warlord? Nasty looking dude in red armor with a big honkin' bastard sword?

As far as the initial levels changing how much you have later in the game, I don't think so. I'm not in any way shape or form sure, but I don't think so. Certainly makes the first couple of levels more manageable though.

Cheers, and happy crawling!
Signed,

Jack, Unflagging Minion of MadGarden.

Kleebin

Post by Kleebin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Arg died on Lvl 18. :( Was pimped out too. +30 weapon enchant and tons of Pots.

Got stunned by a Blitz Beetle and attacked by a relatively minor foe. Barbarian I think. Anyway, I had 19 Resto pots and it didn't trigger. Was this because I was stunned? I even opened the menu to manually pop one but it gave me the "oh hell no" sound and I died. Can you 'splain to me how the auto resto mechanic works?

Also ran into "The Mage" on 17 or 18, killed his minions and he ported away. Is he a special character that dprops some phat lewt? Or all all Mages called "The Mage?"

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Duff, Jack has once again explained things rather well. Thanks Jack. :)

Kleebin, yes currently when you are stunned, you can't use any of your items! Otherwise, the hero will drink a potion when he is on death's door, but still has his head attached. If a monster strikes a "fatal blow," then there is no saving you... you're too dead to drink any potions.

Right now all mages are known as "The Mage," though we'll be adding more unique characters in 2.0, and they will (mostly) stay dead once killed.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

Duff

Post by Duff » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 am

Thanks everyone!

And yes, I meant a Warlord... He hit a fatal blow that took me to -40 while I was desperately trying to drink a potion.

But onto my new game; I've just found a Dragonscale Shield in a secret area on level 2 - fantastic! I've never had one before, but really couldn't care about all those flame traps anymore. What a fantastic item to find so early on. This game really is completely different every time I play with a new character. I can't wait for the new version... When's the release date?!

Madgarden, an idea that occured to me for a future update: if you are affected by levitation and you float over a staircase going up - shouldn't your character also float up to the higher floor whether you want to or not? (What a great spell effect :D )

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 am

Levitation should already do that... doesn't it? You will float up pits too.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

JackHagan

Post by JackHagan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:01 pm

I know I've had it float me up pits, but I don't know about staircases... I'll have to try it next time I spot a mushroom field...
Signed,

JackHagan

Post by JackHagan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:02 pm

madgarden wrote:Right now all mages are known as "The Mage," though we'll be adding more unique characters in 2.0, and they will (mostly) stay dead once killed.
Just thought of a nasty little suggestion for one of these unique characters... Dead characters. Take an old dead player character that's still on the save list, copy all the stats, name, and everything, lower the battle skill a little due to Undeath, and let it lurk around the floor where it was killed, but in a completely new game. With amped up damage-dealing skills (compared to normal mobs, anyway) thanks to being a ghoul with an enchanted sword, it would make for a really difficult monster. As a prize for killing it, it could drop, say, five random potion/scroll/wand type items that were in the dead character's possession. Nothing over-powered, but well worth a good hard scrap. Just do a palate swap of the Hero sprite, make him green and gooey looking with rusty armor, and voila! One undead ex-hero. :D
Signed,

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:44 pm

Yeah, kind of like the Nethack bones file action. I have had a bunch of undead/spirit/corpse etc. ideas, we'll see what happens. :) It's fun having stuff carry over, for sure.