Wield the Sword?

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
yakisoba

Wield the Sword?

Post by yakisoba » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:44 pm

I love this game... it has eaten my life! I made it to Paragon with a +100 sword.... I feel like Luke Skywalker!

Anyway.... I thought it might be interesting if there was an option to USE the sword once you take it from the Minotaur. Maybe there could be a penalty associated with it, so it's something like a +200 sword, but you lose HP like you've been poisoned, or you can't use it for more than 150 steps at a time or something like that... Anyway, since it's supposed to be an uber-awesome sword, I'd love to be able to swing it at some baddies!

Thanks for all of your hard work!

madgarden

Re: Wield the Sword?

Post by madgarden » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Hey yakisoba. You are a tasty noodle.

The jury is out on the wielding of "The Sword," but there will be more powerful artifacts to get your little hero hands on in the next updates. ;)
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

JackHagan

Post by JackHagan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Nooooo! Please, don't let us wield the Sword! I do apologize, Yakisoba, I don't mean to be a jerk, but to me, that's the single, driving impetus of the story! I know story isn't a big part of Fargoal, or any roguelike, for that matter, but... The Sword of Fargoal... A blade so powerful that to wield it would tear lesser men asunder... Returning it to the one man who CAN use it... Gedwyn, a Sage of War so powerful that he can confidently stride into the halls of Umla, despite being BLIND...

I know that the story for SoF isn't overly verbose, but at least for me, it's very powerful. I think that being able to wield this Holy Artifact of unfathomable Power would kinda wreck the mystique... but that's just me. If I may be so bold... If you allow it to be used, just stick with that mystique. Maybe make it usable for up to two or three battles (resulting in the enemy being instantly reduced to a little pile of smoking ash and cinders), and if the Hero attempts to use it more than that, the Power overwhelms him, and bad things happen (the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, anyone?).
Signed,

Jack, Unflagging Minion of MadGarden.

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Personally, I'd like to wield it on anyone coming after me as I'm trying to get it back to Gedwyn...vs. having someone steal it from me. That part has never made sense to me. Why would the bad guys want to steal it and ensure that the dungeon will cave in on them? :roll:

Letting my character beat the daylights on one of those morons makes much sense to me! ;)

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:17 am

The Sword is linked to Gedwyn, as Excalibur to Arthur. So, it really won't work for your hero. It has a higher purpose.

There are other powerful artifacts on the way that won't care who is wielding them. ;)

As for the thieves, most of the dungeon creatures are under Umla's influence... they don't necessarily have a choice. They are compelled to do his bidding. Better the Sword is buried in the ruins of Fargoal than brought to the surface where it may be used to ruin Umla's domination.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

yakisoba

Post by yakisoba » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:33 pm

What about allowing Paragons to wield the Sword? After all, haven't you proven your worthiness as a "Paragon of Virtue" or something? :P

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Who says that the Sword *can* be wielded?

We might be adding other main weapons though, so there will be lots of new dungeon junk to play with. ;)

jermleenats

Post by jermleenats » Mon May 19, 2014 6:04 pm

I agree about that sir, this game was really challenging i very like those swords to use it so realistic.

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 pm

jermleenats wrote:I agree about that sir, this game was really challenging i very like those swords to use it so realistic.
Hey Jermleenats,

That's a great question about the Sword of Fargoal itself. Using it would be very odd, because in many ways it would have a mind of its own. Since it is linked to a specific Hero of legend and lore (in this case Gedwyn), it would be quite temperamental if another person — even a person of great skill — were to try and use it. Honestly I don't quite know what would happen. The way we characterize it in the game is that you just end up carrying strapped across your back. In all likelihood its influence is so strong that any fighter or adventurer who picks it up just *knows* that it can't really be used — like a Jedi mind trick or something.

Who knows what might happen in the future though. Is it possible that there could be a Hero worthy enough to actually use the Sword? Not sure…

— Jeff

Mrs. Madgarden

Post by Mrs. Madgarden » Tue May 20, 2014 1:00 pm

You can wield THE Sword.
Rachel-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.-unknown