Updates for non-supporters?

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
freela00
Site Admin

Re: Updates for non-supporters?

Post by freela00 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:37 pm

rovorcen wrote:it sucks that the game has been delayed quite a bit but I don't things have been abandoned.

Unfortunately We are just going to have to be patient a while longer. I am sure we will get to play something interesting when it can be released.
We sure wish the game weren't delayed as well, but we are working hard to get back to the point that progress is clicking ahead at a faster pace and we can share more images and updates. We know we will be able to push through this period and ultimately create a fantastic new game that we all know Fargoal 2 deserves to be.

— JM

bloewenberg

Post by bloewenberg » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 am

fargoal wrote:
rovorcen wrote:it sucks that the game has been delayed quite a bit but I don't things have been abandoned.

Unfortunately We are just going to have to be patient a while longer. I am sure we will get to play something interesting when it can be released.
We sure wish the game weren't delayed as well, but we are working hard to get back to the point that progress is clicking ahead at a faster pace and we can share more images and updates. We know we will be able to push through this period and ultimately create a fantastic new game that we all know Fargoal 2 deserves to be.

— JM

The silence is DEAFENING ... please give up some kind of update (good or bad)!

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:18 pm

bloewenberg wrote:The silence is DEAFENING ... please give up some kind of update (good or bad)!
@bloewenberg Thanks for the check-in, and yes, we are still working on ways to speed up our forward momentum. Progress continues on Beta improvements, and we are exploring aspects of the interface art development; currently talking to a new pixel artist about test-art (to see what he can do); and working on a new round of wireframes for the main menu design. I'll report on these factors and more on the next regularly-scheduled official update on March 1, 2014 (and/or sooner as any specific developments occur).

As much as our serious delays have impacted the project's overall timing, once we more fully resolve our resource and time issues we will be able to begin posting more micro-updates on the forums and the Kickstarter page regarding Fargoal 2's art and content development.

— Jeff

alcazar84

Post by alcazar84 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:52 am

A few general questions about SoF2 here. I emailed Jeff, but I have not gotten a reply back yet, so I thought I'd try posting to the forums.

I haven’t heard if the game has undergone any new releases lately or not. The version of the game I have is 0.5.3 for Mac OS X. If there have been any software updates, I would like to be able to download them. I am a KS backer of this project.

I am curious to know when more of the game will be available. For instance, the only character I am using right now is a fighter. The rogue can’t find secret doors any better than a fighter can, the wizard cannot cast any spells besides what he finds on scrolls, and they are cast just the same as the fighter, and the elf is a weaker version of the fighter. I know there should be class advantages for the various classes, but right now all they can do is fight, and there is no reason to take anything but a fighter if all they can do is fight.

I also have a beef with how little light there is in the game. The lack of light spells and extra torches lying around to be found makes playing the game extremely difficult. The farthest down I have made it was dungeon level 9 with a level 8 character. I think that was the level below the one with the grues, where everything is permanently dark. There is also a lack of armor to be found in the lower levels below 3. When my armor gets destroyed, there is none to be found down there, making my character extremely vulnerable. Death is surely imminent.

Finally, the mode that allows for characters never permanently dying is still locked, so death is permanent, and no matter where you were in the dungeon, when you die, you have to start over. There is no chance of picking up where you left off. Will that be changed soon?

Please let me know how the game development is going. Thank you, and thank you for recreating such an awesome game! I don't know how I had never heard of the original C64 game, but I am glad that I found this on KS!

- Scott

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:01 pm

@alcazar,

Please note my comments and answers inline below.

— Jeff
alcazar84 wrote:A few general questions about SoF2 here. I emailed Jeff, but I have not gotten a reply back yet, so I thought I'd try posting to the forums.

I haven’t heard if the game has undergone any new releases lately or not. The version of the game I have is 0.5.3 for Mac OS X. If there have been any software updates, I would like to be able to download them. I am a KS backer of this project.

JEFF: The current betatest version you have is still correct. We will post an update both on Kickatarter and in these forums when we know more about when the next beta update will be posted.

I am curious to know when more of the game will be available. For instance, the only character I am using right now is a fighter. The rogue can’t find secret doors any better than a fighter can, the wizard cannot cast any spells besides what he finds on scrolls, and they are cast just the same as the fighter, and the elf is a weaker version of the fighter. I know there should be class advantages for the various classes, but right now all they can do is fight, and there is no reason to take anything but a fighter if all they can do is fight.

JEFF: There are significant differences about the balance of each of the character types 'under the hood' that may not be immediately obvious on the surface. For example, rogues — while not very strong — are extremely agile in battle. I know @madgarden has more specific plans about the character differences. As he begins to flesh those character class differences out more we will post updates featuring each of the character types and what makes each of them unique!

I also have a beef with how little light there is in the game. The lack of light spells and extra torches lying around to be found makes playing the game extremely difficult. The farthest down I have made it was dungeon level 9 with a level 8 character. I think that was the level below the one with the grues, where everything is permanently dark. There is also a lack of armor to be found in the lower levels below 3. When my armor gets destroyed, there is none to be found down there, making my character extremely vulnerable. Death is surely imminent.

JEFF: Right now the lighting in the game is tuned for the more difficult play modes. Players will still be able to choose between three levels of difficulty, including the Squire mode, which will have automatic resurrection to the last temple you've visited, and will have brighter lighting. Some of the other things you've mentioned are mostly a matter of testing and tuning. As the game development gets fleshed out more there will be powerful defenses and spells that will help you navigate the perilous dungeon. Yes, it's challenging, but once you are armed with your full regalia of equipment, skills, and spells, you'll be able to make it more successfully as you figure out the puzzles of survival in the Fargoal world.

Finally, the mode that allows for characters never permanently dying is still locked, so death is permanent, and no matter where you were in the dungeon, when you die, you have to start over. There is no chance of picking up where you left off. Will that be changed soon?

JEFF: I'll pass on that comment such that we can work on turning on that functionality (Squire mode) as soon as possible in the next beta release.

Please let me know how the game development is going. Thank you, and thank you for recreating such an awesome game! I don't know how I had never heard of the original C64 game, but I am glad that I found this on KS!

JEFF: Thank you for the kudos. We too are very much wanting to solve our current development delays and get to the point that we can start showing much more regular, exciting progress on a weekly basis. There is active work being done behind the scenes to get to that point. Once we've ramped back up to full capacity you'll begin to see more rapid improvements to the graphical and behavioral content of the game. Your comments and questions are much appreciated! — Jeff

- Scott

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Dear Fargoal Fans & Supporters:

We are extremely happy (and relieved) to announce that @Viridiangames Anthony Salter has joined the Fargoal 2 team to help us with Development of our game!

Check out our Update on Kickstarter http://far.gl/sofup47 to read more and see links to Anthony's work.

Looking forward to new things to come!

— Jeff McCord

bluewomble88

Post by bluewomble88 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:46 pm

I take it Madgarden has been sacked off then!?

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Wed May 14, 2014 9:58 am

Nope still here... can't really get sacked off of my own game now can I? It'd be like firing myself. Oh man, if I could do that I'd make sure I got a pretty sweet severance package.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

jezzliam

Post by jezzliam » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 am

I hate the game has been delayed quite a bit but I don't things have been abandoned.
I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun. :D
Matt Groening cheap pocket knives

anotheryoma

Post by anotheryoma » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:27 am

How's she coming? Any new expected release date? Hope all is well...