Updates for non-supporters?

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
dbooster

Updates for non-supporters?

Post by dbooster » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:44 am

Hi guys,

I didn't support your Kickstarter for a variety of reasons, but I do plan to buy your game if and when it is ever released. I gather from the few comments I see elsewhere that you are beta testing and are giving updates to all supporters. Well, I may not have supported your Kickstarter, but I have supporter you, first by buying the first game, both for the iPhone and the later iPad version, and also buy word of mouth, convincing my friends to also buy the game. I'd really appreciate if you could also keep us up to date here on this forum. I think I'm not the only one here who would appreciate that. It doesn't have to be a lot, it doesn't need to include screen shots, but a few words, like a blog post, once a week or so letting us know what is going on would really be nice. I think many of us fear the worst. We watch as the months and years go by and see nothing, and thoughts of games like Duke Forever or apps like TextMate 2 come to mind. Some occasional updates would do a lot to comfort your fanbase.

bloewenberg

Re: Updates for non-supporters?

Post by bloewenberg » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Been almost a year since the Kickstarter campaign was funded ... any hopes of SoF II ever coming out?

FXM

Post by FXM » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 am

bloewenberg wrote:Been almost a year since the Kickstarter campaign was funded ... any hopes of SoF II ever coming out?
I was looking for some official discussion of the Fargoal 2 Beta, and had no luck. I think what I'm about to say is ok, but if not, no hurt feelings if this gets deleted. This is a completely un-official, non-sanctioned post.

I am one of the Kickstarter supporters who has the Beta version. Right now, it's completely playable. It seems to have pretty much everything they had been hoping to include. There are still a few odds and ends that need to be cleaned up or enabled, but I'm very pleased with it. That having been said, I have not played through every character type to win the Sword, or even one. In fact, it's been tough getting down past level 10. I have successfully retrieved the Sword on normal difficulty in SoF a few times, but not at all in SoF2. There is a lot of new stuff to learn. For one, conserve your torches and light spells! There are some places where you REALLY don't want to be without them. SoF2 does seem harder than SoF, but I'm not complaining.

I have no insider info on release dates, and am not a developer myself, so don't know how long these things take. But it seems like it shouldn't be all that long, now. I think those of us who love the current SoF will be delighted with SoF2.

I hope that helps.

bloewenberg

Post by bloewenberg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:46 am

I *sounds* like it is a great update ... I wish I knew about the Kickstarter campaign a year ago .. I would have definitely supported it if I knew ... Is there any hope of expanding the beta testers to include others (I would gladly pay to be a beta tester). Madgarden .. any hope for mere mortals?

dbooster

Post by dbooster » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 pm

That's exactly what I hoped to hear. Thank you, FXM.

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:12 pm

dbooster wrote:Hi guys,

I didn't support your Kickstarter for a variety of reasons, but I do plan to buy your game if and when it is ever released. I gather from the few comments I see elsewhere that you are beta testing and are giving updates to all supporters. Well, I may not have supported your Kickstarter, but I have supporter you, first by buying the first game, both for the iPhone and the later iPad version, and also buy word of mouth, convincing my friends to also buy the game. I'd really appreciate if you could also keep us up to date here on this forum. I think I'm not the only one here who would appreciate that. It doesn't have to be a lot, it doesn't need to include screen shots, but a few words, like a blog post, once a week or so letting us know what is going on would really be nice. I think many of us fear the worst. We watch as the months and years go by and see nothing, and thoughts of games like Duke Forever or apps like TextMate 2 come to mind. Some occasional updates would do a lot to comfort your fanbase.
Hello dbooster and other Fargoal supporters,

Sorry for the radio silence this past couple of months on the forums. I take full responsibility for now realizing that comments and questions had come in, relying typically on notifications coming to me when there is a post (but something must have turned off in my settings).

That explanation aside, I want to respond generally to the status of Fargoal 2 both to Kickstarter supporters and others:

I am currently in the process of working on solutions for bringing in my coding power to the project. Our beta has progressed slowly-but-surely, fixing bugs and continuing to work on features. But it has been clear for a while that we need additional coding support.

The good news is that, unlike some other Kickstarter campaigns, we have *not* blown through our budget. We've been very conservative with our spending, and Paul and I have been very careful not to draw out funds for ourselves from the Kickstarter support we've received. We are working toward putting the support money toward coding dollars and graphics, as promised in the campaign.

We are working on a solution to our coding progress and will post a more detailed update as soon as we can both in these forums as well as on Kickstarter.

Thank you very much for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord

bloewenberg

Post by bloewenberg » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:12 pm

"A thundering voice in the dungeon has spoken and you now sense that the Sword is nearby."

This is the best news I have heard in a while and I cannot wait for some better news! :P

fargoal wrote:

Sorry for the radio silence this past couple of months on the forums. I take full responsibility for now realizing that comments and questions had come in, relying typically on notifications coming to me when there is a post (but something must have turned off in my settings).

That explanation aside, I want to respond generally to the status of Fargoal 2 both to Kickstarter supporters and others:

I am currently in the process of working on solutions for bringing in my coding power to the project. Our beta has progressed slowly-but-surely, fixing bugs and continuing to work on features. But it has been clear for a while that we need additional coding support.

The good news is that, unlike some other Kickstarter campaigns, we have *not* blown through our budget. We've been very conservative with our spending, and Paul and I have been very careful not to draw out funds for ourselves from the Kickstarter support we've received. We are working toward putting the support money toward coding dollars and graphics, as promised in the campaign.

We are working on a solution to our coding progress and will post a more detailed update as soon as we can both in these forums as well as on Kickstarter.

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord

bluewomble88

Post by bluewomble88 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 pm

bloewenberg wrote:"A thundering voice in the dungeon has spoken and you now sense that the Sword is nearby."

This is the best news I have heard in a while and I cannot wait for some better news! :P

fargoal wrote:

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord

You say you will post a more detailed update on here AND kickstarter. Well, you haven't. On Kickstarter you posted an update on Dec 15th for backers only. You haven't posted anything here - the official site!
Why is progress slow and so secret? Has Madgarden been removed from the project altogether? Why do you neglect this site so much? Why isn't there a thread in "upcoming games" section on the TouchArcade forums?

I feel sorry for everyone that put money in. It doesn't take this long to make Fargoal 2 since the kickstarter ended and following the progress that had already been made. Why has there been so much effort to make toys and other pointless memorabilia instead of just using the money to finish the game? What on earth are you up to?

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Hello bluewomble88,

I have been working on the update for both Kickstarter and our Forums and hope to be able to post it soon.

Here's a snapshot of what I will be reporting on:

Part of last week I was at the Steam Dev Days conference in Seattle, and we had some very warm and promising response from our work on Sword of Fargoal and Fargoal 2. After we are able to fulfill our original commitment to the Kickstarter release (PC/Mac/Linux/iOS), there is some hope that one (or possibly both) versions will have a chance to make it onto Steam as well.

One thing that helped us a lot is that Intel provided developer who attended the conference with a Gigabyte BRIX Pro "Steam Machine" for use in development. Valve Software (Steam) also provided us with a working prototype of their new touchpad-based controller unit. If we are able to get onto Steam, we may be able to provide some haptic feedback for Fargoal controls of use with this new device.

Important clarification regarding Fargoal, LLC and Madgarden:

At no point has Madgarden been in a lesser position than me (Jeff McCord) in terms of the ownership of Fargoal, LLC.

In fact he is the #1 reason that Fargoal exists in its modern state in the first place. He is the project's Developer, primary pixel artist, sound-effects creator, and weapons, monsters, traps, treasures inventor, etc. (both for Fargoal 1 and Fargoal 2). Yes, it's true, Madgarden has been very busy on other projects lately, but he has been careful to work toward the point where he can have more time to concentrate on some of the fun, new things that he would like to see in Fargoal 2. In the mean time we've been working on betatesting and improvements with our developer-resources, and continuing to finalize the fulfillment of the Kickstarter pledge rewards.

I appreciate your passion for our game, and I hope this helps clarify a few things that you may have thought about our team. Madgarden is alive and well and creating amazing work, and in fact has learned a ton more that he can apply back to Fargoal 2 when appropriate to do so in the development process.

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord
Fargoal, LLC
bluewomble88 wrote:"A thundering voice in the dungeon has spoken and you now sense that the Sword is nearby."

You say you will post a more detailed update on here AND kickstarter. Well, you haven't. On Kickstarter you posted an update on Dec 15th for backers only. You haven't posted anything here - the official site!
Why is progress slow and so secret? Has Madgarden been removed from the project altogether? Why do you neglect this site so much? Why isn't there a thread in "upcoming games" section on the TouchArcade forums?

I feel sorry for everyone that put money in. It doesn't take this long to make Fargoal 2 since the kickstarter ended and following the progress that had already been made. Why has there been so much effort to make toys and other pointless memorabilia instead of just using the money to finish the game? What on earth are you up to?

rovorcen

Post by rovorcen » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:26 pm

it sucks that the game has been delayed quite a bit but I don't things have been abandoned.

Unfortunately We are just going to have to be patient a while longer. I am sure we will get to play something interesting when it can be released.