Feedback on PC version

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
Blackblade

Feedback on PC version

Post by Blackblade » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:35 pm

I've played the game a little and it's a lot of fun so far. I do have to say though that the PC version could use some love.

The interface is pretty bad. There are no keyboard shortcuts at all. Please add some for bringing up your character window, selecting options, attacking, etc. The lack of these is really taking away from my enjoyment of the game. Releasing on computers means you should make the interface nice on those systems also, even if that is not your primary focus.

I started my first game as a ranger and I was quickly annoyed but weapon swapping. I was mainly relying on my bow but everytime someone gets close I enter melee and the game switches to my melee weapon. That is fine but afterwards it would be nice to reequip my bow for me or at least make it easy to do so. Having to bring up the inventory and wield it each time is quite annoying as many clicks are involved. Plus I just forget sometimes.

That's all for now. These two issues really need to be addressed in my opinion so I wanted to let you guys know. I hope it is something you can work on.

GeneralGonzo

Re: Feedback on PC version

Post by GeneralGonzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 am

I would be interested in where did you get the PC Verison to play from ?
Are you a backer and its a non official beta version?
What´s the point here ?

Blackblade

Post by Blackblade » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:20 pm

This is for Sword of Fargoal 2 btw. Yes, I am a backer and this is a pre-release version that I received for being a backer. The point is that I am giving my feedback so they can make it better. Not sure what you are getting at exactly. Is this the wrong forum?

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Blackblade wrote:This is for Sword of Fargoal 2 btw. Yes, I am a backer and this is a pre-release version that I received for being a backer. The point is that I am giving my feedback so they can make it better. Not sure what you are getting at exactly. Is this the wrong forum?
Blackblade and GeneralGonzo,

I think I can answer both questions here:

First of all, Blackblade, sorry I didn't answer your first question before. I was out of town for part of last week. I'm going to answer that post in a separate response.

Regarding the forums, it's fine to post about "Sword of Fargoal 2" here as well. We are in the process of fixing/reconfiguring our Backer-Only Forums, and we might actually plan on combining them into one now anyway — into these forums.

GeneralGonzo, you may not have been aware but we had a Kickstarter campaign for the development of "Sword of Fargoal 2," and we've recently been going through the Alpha/Beta testing of the new game! That's what Blackblade is talking about; they were one of our supporters of our campaign and, as one of the campaign pledge rewards, they have early Beta access to our PC test version. Right now our Beta test list is limited to the supporters of the Kickstarter campaign. We have to limit it because it's a lot of work to manage a beta test with a lot of people involved. But at a future date we may open up that beta test wider.

Thanks to both of you for your interest!

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord
Fargoal, LLC

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Blackblade wrote:I've played the game a little and it's a lot of fun so far. I do have to say though that the PC version could use some love.

The interface is pretty bad. There are no keyboard shortcuts at all. Please add some for bringing up your character window, selecting options, attacking, etc. The lack of these is really taking away from my enjoyment of the game. Releasing on computers means you should make the interface nice on those systems also, even if that is not your primary focus.

I started my first game as a ranger and I was quickly annoyed but weapon swapping. I was mainly relying on my bow but everytime someone gets close I enter melee and the game switches to my melee weapon. That is fine but afterwards it would be nice to reequip my bow for me or at least make it easy to do so. Having to bring up the inventory and wield it each time is quite annoying as many clicks are involved. Plus I just forget sometimes.

That's all for now. These two issues really need to be addressed in my opinion so I wanted to let you guys know. I hope it is something you can work on.
Blackblade,

Thanks for playing and enjoying the game!

Here are my quick answers:

1. Yes, I *completely agree* about the interface. This one is totally temporary, and the final interface — as you will see — will be much better!

2. Thanks for sharing about the equipment inventory system. Your feedback is much appreciated. Our goal will be to simplify and streamline the weapon and inventory systems during our beta testing cycle.

Also, you might want to add the weapon inventory comments to the bug tracking system (check your Kickstarter messages to find out where to sign up for free). There is a way to log "feature requests" and comments along with bug tracking comments. Write to me through Kickstarter if you need me to send that again.

— Jeff

Janardenz

Post by Janardenz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:40 am

Yes I agree of this topic sir, Thanks for sharing about the equipment inventory system. Your feedback is much appreciated. Our goal will be to simplify and streamline the weapon and inventory systems during our beta testing cycle.