Why so quiet around here?

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
madgarden

Re: Why so quiet around here?

Post by madgarden » Mon May 20, 2013 2:59 pm

bluewomble88 wrote: So how do we access this information if we didn't contribute to the kickstarter? Exactly, we can't.
The question was: can us normal people get an update?
As usual the answer is an emphatic NO.
All you have to do is ask nicely. And/or email jeffmccord@fargoal.com. But when you come in here and whine and spread conspiracy theories about a video game, well... you won't get anything from me. I'm quite busy with many projects, not just Fargoal.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

bluewomble88

Post by bluewomble88 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:31 am

madgarden wrote:
bluewomble88 wrote: So how do we access this information if we didn't contribute to the kickstarter? Exactly, we can't.
All you have to do is ask nicely. And/or email jeffmccord@fargoal.com. But when you come in here and whine and spread conspiracy theories about a video game, well... you won't get anything from me. I'm quite busy with many projects, not just Fargoal.
This is not true.
How many people have enquirer about how it's coming along over the years only to be told "it'll be done when it's done"
Pathetic.

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:38 am

bluewomble88 wrote:So how do we access this information if we didn't contribute to the kickstarter? Exactly, we can't.
Bluewomble88: Madgarden's right, we've been working with backers of Fargoal 2 to give them early access to the Alpha at a specific funding level and above, and we've been getting great feedback from their playtests. I wish I understood better about what has gotten you so frustrated. We are actively working on how to get the game toward its 1.0 release, but as Madgarden has said previously its not possible at this point to give a specific release date (though we will continue to roll out Alpha and Beta builds as progress is made).

I'm trying to remember your specific relationship to the game: Do you love it? or do you hate it? it's hard to tell with the tone of your communications.

— Jeff

bluewomble88

Post by bluewomble88 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:34 pm

fargoal wrote:
bluewomble88 wrote:So how do we access this information if we didn't contribute to the kickstarter? Exactly, we can't.
Bluewomble88: Madgarden's right, we've been working with backers of Fargoal 2 to give them early access to the Alpha at a specific funding level and above, and we've been getting great feedback from their playtests. I wish I understood better about what has gotten you so frustrated. We are actively working on how to get the game toward its 1.0 release, but as Madgarden has said previously its not possible at this point to give a specific release date (though we will continue to roll out Alpha and Beta builds as progress is made).

I'm trying to remember your specific relationship to the game: Do you love it? or do you hate it? it's hard to tell with the tone of your communications.

— Jeff
Believe me Jeff, I love it. If you look at the official thread at TouchArcade I described it as one of the best games I've ever played.
I'm not asking for a release date anymore. I've given up on F2 and did so when I stated some home truths and Madgarden turned into my mother in law! It's a long story but F2 has gone from a free update to F1 to nothing of substance in 2 years. I'm pleased the kickstarter worked as you seem like a decent chap who cares deeply about the project. In my opinion (for what it's worth) you have 2 problems:

1/ No-one from your end posts anything on this official site about the project. At all. It's like F2 doesn't exist. That is bad publicity in my experience. Most other devs communicate through their official site what's going on but you might as well shut this site down.
2/ I don't wish to get personal but Madgarden doesn't seem to have the PR skills to benefit the project. Evasive, dismissive, sarcastic, aggressive, and obnoxious are some of the words I could use to describe his attitude for the last couple of years when pressed about further details. You Jeff seem to have the patience and skill to communicate properly with the general public that shows an interest.

Food for thought.

MrRicks

Post by MrRicks » Tue May 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Noone answered my question. I must have not asked nicely enough. I said please when I asked, but I guess that's not sucking enough DEEk. Feel free to delete my account. You treat people like SHIP(sp).

bluewomble88

Post by bluewomble88 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

MrRicks wrote:Noone answered my question. I must have not asked nicely enough. I said please when I asked, but I guess that's not sucking enough DEEk. Feel free to delete my account. You treat people like SHIP(sp).
I don't agree with the way you have expressed your point but I DO agree with the message behind it. You did indeed ask nicely for an update and then Madgarden bowls in sometime later stating that no one gets info unless they ask nicely! But his responses in the last 24hours are just the tip of a very large iceberg. Like I said - no interest in being anything other than nasty and evasive. It's a shame.

Mrs. Madgarden

Post by Mrs. Madgarden » Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 pm

MrRicks wrote:Noone answered my question. I must have not asked nicely enough. I said please when I asked, but I guess that's not sucking enough DEEk. Feel free to delete my account. You treat people like SHIP(sp).
Sorry MrRicks, you were indeed ignored. My apologies. An update was posted just over a month ago here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=211&start=30

And nothing worth reporting has changed since then. You can delete your own account if you like.
Rachel-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.-unknown

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 pm

bluewomble88 wrote:
I don't agree with the way you have expressed your point but I DO agree with the message behind it. You did indeed ask nicely for an update and then Madgarden bowls in sometime later stating that no one gets info unless they ask nicely! But his responses in the last 24hours are just the tip of a very large iceberg. Like I said - no interest in being anything other than nasty and evasive. It's a shame.
*YOU* never ask nicely fella... instead you come flying in with accusations and name-calling... and you're famously known for this across forums far and wide. This is your only warning... do it again, and you can expect the ban hammer to come down on you. And I still won't finish Fargoal any faster, nor tell you when it will be done if we don't have a solid date. If you want to nag and be a pest about the game, email Jeff directly (he's the Fargoal community manager) ... to which he will give you a very long and pithy response ... instead of making a big frickin' blaming stink in here. These are our forums. Follow these rules or you're outta here.

If you continue this behaviour beyond this point, why hey... maybe I'll add code that makes sure any player or character name even closely resembling "womble" will never be allowed to play the game EVER. Take 10 steps, explode. Then you can go play 100 Rogues or something.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

MrRicks

Post by MrRicks » Tue May 21, 2013 4:30 pm

madgarden wrote:
bluewomble88 wrote:
*YOU* never ask nicely fella... instead you come flying in with accusations and name-calling... and you're famously known for this across forums far and wide. This is your only warning... do it again, and you can expect the ban hammer to come down on you. And I still won't finish Fargoal any faster, nor tell you when it will be done if we don't have a solid date. If you want to nag and be a pest about the game, email Jeff directly (he's the Fargoal community manager) ... to which he will give you a very long and pithy response ... instead of making a big frickin' blaming stink in here. These are our forums. Follow these rules or you're outta here.

If you continue this behaviour beyond this point, why hey... maybe I'll add code that makes sure any player or character name even closely resembling "womble" will never be allowed to play the game EVER. Take 10 steps, explode. Then you can go play 100 Rogues or something.
The difference between you and most people that treat me like SHIP is you made Fargoal 1. This is hard to think about.

freela00
Site Admin

Forum Rules Update

Post by freela00 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Forum Rules Update:

First of all, I see lots of vitriol on the part of a few people who have been disappointed about our Fargoal 2 release schedule. From what I understand — historically-speaking — that has sometimes lead to inappropriate or offensive posts. Now I am not just talking frustrations and expressiveness, but 'banable' behaviors on the part of some of the forum members. I also consider excessive bad language — even 'faked' bad language — to be in that category as well.

Now I want to be perfectly clear: We don't need a comply sanitized and expressiveness-free forum. Granted that we have been part of that expressiveness as well and have posted some colorful and biting posts over time. But what I *don't* want to see is continued badgering and aggressiveness being expressed when someone is disappointed about something.

I promise, as one of Fargoal's creators, to be more active in the forums over the course of the next period of time while Fargoal 2 is being completed. I won't be there after every single post, necessarily, but I will try and watch the posts more closely and respond to them as often as I can. I will also promise to post general updates when forward progress occurs. Depending on what progress has been made in a given week, this may be several times a week, OR there may be several weeks before you see another update. So you will need to be patient with us in that area.

Absolutely we take finishing Fargoal 2 very seriously, and we've poured more hours than you can possibly imagine into getting Fargoal 2 to this point — especially Madgarden, in the thousands of hours quite literally. Plus with the Kickstarter campaign, handling the rewards fulfillment, and other necessary tasks, I personally have spent many hundreds upon hundreds of hours to help Fargoal 2 have a way to get finished. In fact, we are actively working on ways to bring in more person-power support to get the game done.

From what I have heard back about, even those of you who are expressing their frustrations actually like, or even *love* the game. That is great — very gratifying from all of us who are involved. Please keep in mind that as we move the project along, we are doing our best to communicate with our fans and supporters, and have even been interacting quite directly with many of our Kickstarter supporters about how to make the game better, fix bugs, and get the game closer to release. That task in-and-of-iteself is quite time intensive, and I would ask that you understand how we *need* to do that in order to really complete the game. Certainly you might feel more confident in our process if you had been one of our Kickstarter supporters and were one of the participants in the Beta. But even short of that, periodically checking in with us through these forums — trying to be as patient as you can be — will certainly be a good way to learn the basics of what is going on.

So, in summary, I ask that *everyone* tone down their negative stances as we move forward on the project. I will ban anyone who posts offensive or excessively foul posts from here on out. And if there are repeated incidents of badgering and bullying, I just don't feel like it is a productive method of communication, so I will be watching for that behavior as well.

Otherwise — as long as you understand the need for patience — please continue to enjoy the use of the forums as a means for contacting me to your heart's content!

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord
Fargoal, LLC