Sword of Fargoal 2 on Kickstarter!

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
freela00
Site Admin

Sword of Fargoal 2 on Kickstarter!

Post by freela00 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm

WooHoooo!!

As-of 3:01 pm on Thursday, September 13, 2012, Sword of Fargoal 2 Kickstarter campaign officially Kicked-off!

PLEASE tell the whole earth!!

http://far.gl/sof-ks

— Jeff McCord

MrRicks

Re: Sword of Fargoal 2 on Kickstarter!

Post by MrRicks » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Is it dead in here or is it just me?

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:38 pm

MrRicks wrote:Is it dead in here or is it just me?
No, I'm here!!

Maybe everyone is over at Kickstarter's house. I heard there is a big party there!!!

http://far.gl/sof-ks

PAR-TAY!!!! ;^)

— Jeff

StevenP

Post by StevenP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 am

Darn it! I wanted to be the first one in but ended up sick at home with the flu.

Anyways, I need to head over there and read everything and work out a pledge level.
I use to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure...

ralph4769

Post by ralph4769 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:05 am

Speaking of party, I would to attend such event.
"He felt secured while wearing his duty holsters."

bluewomble88

Post by bluewomble88 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 am

What happens if you don't hit your $50,000 target?

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:08 am

Oh, we will. Believe me, we will fight to the death trying our best to reach the Kickstarter campaign goal!

If for some reason our Herculean efforts just *don't* work — even with the generous help we've already gotten so far, plus Fargoal Fans trying to pull together just enough at the end by spreading the word and helping to muster that much-needed support; if that's not quite enough... Well, by Kickstarter's rules, the campaign doesn't get any of funds.

Honest Answers:

Fargoal will *not* be dead, of course. We will continue to support Sword of Fargoal (1) as fully as possible. And, slowly, Fargoal 2 will continue its progress when Madgarden and I each have enough resources to allow it to move forward — so there may be significant breaks so we can replenish, then revisiting when we can.

We *thought* we could compete it in this past year — after many countless 10 and 12 hour days (or more), particularly on Paul's part. And that brought us very very close — most of the underlying rebuilt structure, and a large portion of the additional monster, trap, treasure, items, as well as cool new character classes, dungeon tiles, dungeon-type generation routines, etc. But the remaining 20% truly gives the underlying structure it's full personality and character, and not enough of that part — in some ways the hardest, or most time-consuming part, at least. To do that in a concentrated, timely manner, it takes outside help, and for that we need funding support.

So, the short answer, does it continue on? Yes. Does it complete promptly and reliably in the first part of 2013? We are sorry to say in that case — if we are unlucky and don't make our funding, no. Kickstarter does not take any pledge if a campaign does not fund.

So, we *have* to make it!

If you are reading this, and a Fargoal fan, supporting us through Kickstarter is *so much* needed at this point. Please don't wait to the end. Your generous support now can help encourage others as well!

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord
Fargoal, LLC

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:32 pm

I can't work on Fargoal 2 if I can't pay the bills... pretty simple if you ask me. ;)
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

MrRicks

Post by MrRicks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 pm

This is blackmail. I don't have $22,000.

freela00
Site Admin

Post by freela00 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 pm

madgarden wrote:I can't work on Fargoal 2 if I can't pay the bills... pretty simple if you ask me. ;)
Paul, don't upset our good fans!! ;^)

MrRicks,

Let me explain what I think Madgarden means, but in different words:

1. We've been trying to get Fargoal 2 done for over a year now, and truly Paul has tapped out every ounce of energy, and lived out every dollar that should have been going toward paying his mortgage, putting week upon week upon month, with often 12-14 hour days working on pure Fargoal 2, non-stop. And the challenge is that personally, I'm not skilled enough to be a coder at his level, and relieve any of those monumental efforts he's had to put in. Sure, I've always been a great spokesperson for Fargoal, and when it comes to finding and art-directing the outside talent for art, animations, and music, I've been good in more a Co-Producer role, with Paul doing 90% of the coding, pixel art, SID sound simulations, etc.

2. We've been trying to solve this issue and get much-needed support for finishing the last 20% of Fargoal 2 through Kickstarter, not because we are wanting to compensate ourselves, but *truly* to give back to our fans and supporters in *HUGE* ways:

A). It *really* means having the financial resources to hire the help I the areas of pixel art and some coding support.

B). Having this support means Paul can continue to concentrate on the core coding of the game itself, leaving many of the interface, art, marketing, music-creation, illustrations (of our new "Action Cards"), and other tasks that can be delegated to other people.

C). This in turn translates to the crux of Paul's comment: With Kickstarter we can fast-track much of this, finishing way ahead of what we will have to do without Kickstarter. Without Kickstarter, it simply means that all those tasks will have to take place over an extended period of time, and really only when we can find creative ways to support Paul, either directly or through affording to bring in help, can we conceive of keeping the project moving forward as much as we can on a shoestring. Clearly Paul will have to balance that with other projects as well, which can also add to the timeline.

D). How did we get to 80% done and sorta stuck? Mostly us not finding a way (yet) to get reliable support for Paul — and he can't continue to put n the hours he does without it. But also, the game is probably 2x or 3x bigger than even Paul thought it would be. So by that measure we need help for Paul too!

Believe me, in my other game company, Trouble Brothers, when we set out to build a game, we set a game scope, get cost quotes from coders and artists, set a time schedule, and work toward the goals to launch a game. In the case of Fargoal 2, I can't do that, because A). Paul is an owner and partner, so we can't tell each other what to do about how to go about building and finishing a game (though we both try, believe me); and B). Fargoal has *always* been an organic beast, so even Paul as Game Development Lead can't tell us when when the product is good enough to consider worthy of its fan expectations and personal stamp of quality we all want to see here. Paul himself would have wanted to feel it was solid and complete many many months ago. And that might have been possible, even, if I were more capable as a coder or production designer (interface, etc). Instead, Paul is left with a gigantic and beautiful structure upon which a great finished game is being built, but he needs direct help and support to get it done.

Phew!

3. I assure you, no-one is ever expecting or implying that any one person bring in $22,000. That's the beauty of crowdsourced funding (when it works). Together, supporters and fans can help a challenging project get made, putting in only what they can afford, and getting some amazing rewards — not to mention the pleasure they'll continue to get from the game once it is compete. It really is going to be neat!

Please accept my apology if you are feeling miffed about our Kickstarter need, but I can assure you, this possible solution, if successful by Saturday, is something that will be really good for the game! (Though it will still be incredibly hard).

I hope this sheds some more light on what we are trying to do! And I can say, I really think we *can* do it, with your help, and help with other fans like you…

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord
Fargoal, LLC