Trapped?!

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
jaranth

Trapped?!

Post by jaranth » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Well, well... My little warrior is utterly trapped!

The stairs I walked down to get to this floor are... gone! I'm not sure when or why they disappeared... only that when I began looking for a way off the floor they weren't there anymore.

The floor has only one other staircase on it, and when I try to climb it, I get the message "It leads nowhere!"

I've tried looking for secret rooms (using the light spell) that might hide a staircase (or hole in the wall), but there's nothing. I've also walked over all the rubble piles I can find, hoping that maybe I could drop through a hole in the floor... no luck there, either.

What am I missing? Any ideas?

stevensenger

Re: Trapped?!

Post by stevensenger » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Did you go down a "steep treacherous path?" They are one-way rides. Perhaps there will be a pit trap somewhere so you can drop down and escape. Which floor are you on?

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:36 am

What floor are you on? There is a slight chance that the map is just borked. :/
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

jaranth

Post by jaranth » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 am

Well, I'm on floor 6, but I arrived here from a normal staircase coming down from level 5.

There are no pits anywhere; I've checked all the rubble piles and such.

Once in an earlier game, I saw a "harmless troll" bash a wall that was only taking up one square, reducing it to rubble. I wonder if they can bash staircases too?

I suppose I'll just start over, but this particular problem is really annoying. It wouldn't be a big deal if the REASON I was trapped were obvious. I hope it doesn't happen again... that would be a game-breaker for me. :|

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 am

Yes unfortunately, in some rare cases its possible for an error to occur in the map generation, since it's rather complex and convoluted. One of the things I've done with Fargoal 2 is to completely re-write how the dungeon generation works so that this sort of thing can never happen. Funny, in the original C64 Fargoal you could sometimes end up in a map that had sections completely separate from each other, with no stairs in one section... if you were unlucky enough to get teleported into that section, well...

In any case, trolls can't bash the stairs. But... that's a good idea! ;)
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

StevenP

Post by StevenP » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 am

madgarden wrote: In any case, trolls can't bash the stairs. But... that's a good idea! ;)
Indeed! ;)
I use to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure...

darwingregory

Post by darwingregory » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:43 pm

I have this kind of issue too. Can someone help me with this?
Genius will live and thrive without training, but it does not the less reward the watering-pot and butterfly knife