Ideas!!

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
Fengar

Ideas!!

Post by Fengar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Well, im not sure if we have this, but we could put some ideas at the same place to maybe be used by our devs...

Well, mine is about the temples, It recover 1 hp each time we step on it, I dont know you guys, but when im low on hp, I go to one and omg my finger hurts LOL. So it could be a good thing to just keep restoring at a very very low rate while we are on it, to avoid a little of this.

TheDude

Re: Ideas!!

Post by TheDude » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Fengar wrote:Well, mine is about the temples, It recover 1 hp each time we step on it, ... So it could be a good thing to just keep restoring at a very very low rate while we are on it, to avoid a little of this.
Just stand on the temple: after about 2 seconds you start healing, tick, tick, tick... ;)

Fengar

Post by Fengar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Ooow boy, I tried to come here to fix this loool, I just figured that, oh well :p
But lets put ideas at one place anyways.

Silver.Band

Post by Silver.Band » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Agreed that this is a good thread so here is my .02 cents in no particular order though some of this might be already a part of version 2.0 :

- enchanted weapons... don't worry about programming "scrolls of identification" just make the wooden club weapon you just found "have an aura" about it and have it auto-identified when the weapon is especially efficient with a demon, a beast, or a bug for that matter... we know the item is special but we have to figure out why.

- please please change the temple graphic so it is not a gamepad symbol... or a cross even. Wink-itty wink-wink-wink. Seriously, the artwork doesn't match the rest of the game.

- Aura glow around a monster that is stronger than others of its own class with an increased and possibly unique item/weapon drop... and a higher chance of your character killed by a class you think you don't consider a threat.

- don't go backwards to unidentified scrolls/wands/spells/potions... the current game mechanics work just fine.

- IAP's... new extended quest(s) added, character classes, tile sets. Those are it for now.

- Include an auto-sort based on how often the player uses something. If I use potions of health most often, write an algorithim that keeps most used items on top of the icon list. Beneficial for combat situations as well.

- madgarden is doing just fine being an devious dungeon master. It shouldn't be easy after all... keep this gameplay balance.

- monster farming is almost there. Centipedes come to mind. Treasure rooms with an increased character death are a fun gamble.

To be continued...
Last edited by Silver.Band on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs. Madgarden

Post by Mrs. Madgarden » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:32 am

:?: why would a monster glow with an aura just because it is stronger? Wouldn't that give away much of the "oh crap" factor in walking around in a dungeon and not being too sure of what you will stumble upon?

Please explain. :)
Rachel-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.-unknown

Silver.Band

Post by Silver.Band » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:18 am

prid5 wrote::?: why would a monster glow with an aura just because it is stronger? Wouldn't that give away much of the "oh crap" factor in walking around in a dungeon and not being too sure of what you will stumble upon?

Please explain. :)
Sure! I was kind of thinking along the lines of a "Champion" creature for each monster class... Maybe just a very very low percentage that one may spawn in any given dungeon level. Then for the remainder of that game that creature class may not spawn another champion. Once the hero makes his/her first hit on the monster, make the aura appear. Make them even more difficult than the hard creatures of its class. Maybe the reward of killing a champion could be a extra EXP, a +1 weapon increase and a random temporary spell on the Hero like strength, agility, or regen. Your Hero will be cocky after all, they just defeated a champion :D.

I think having the harder than normal creatures is already a great feature (ie. the "Oh Crap" factor) so that should stay the same. I think the "Champion" creature concept adds to the overall beastiary without actually adding new creatures.

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Actually, Fargoal already has that feature... "out of depth" monsters can be spawned on any level. They are just higher level versions of whatever monsters.

In Fargoal 2.0, the whole dungeon will be pre-populated, and there will be fewer monsters overall, but they will be tougher.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

Silver.Band

Post by Silver.Band » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 pm

madgarden wrote:In Fargoal 2.0, the whole dungeon will be pre-populated, and there will be fewer monsters overall, but they will be tougher.
Will monsters respawn though? If not, does that mean grinding for exp/levels won't exist?

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Yes, there will be respawning in various ways... but don't think you will be so much tougher that you can just go and bash your way through everything like before. ;)
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

Silver.Band

Post by Silver.Band » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Don't worry O evil one... Just got toasted on level 19 just before the wonderful red stairs going down. Rat crushed my shield and a new shield of lower type was about 15 steps away. I went to grab it and got blasted by dragon fire for -21 hence those 11 restoration potions meant jack you-know-what :evil: . I would post a snapshot but for some reason I can't upload the image (message: Could not upload attachment to ./files/215_6ddd6008b0cd156216320984b83ca0c5.)