2.0 Q&A

From its early days on the C64 and VIC-20, the "remake" for the PC and Mac, or all-new version which is now available on the iTunes App Store (http://bit.ly/8MDq3N)
Silver.Band

2.0 Q&A

Post by Silver.Band » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:14 am

I must say I am really enjoying this new purchase on my iPod Touch. I also accidentally bought the iPad version first... "OOOO .99 cents... *Pull Trigger w/o reading*

Since I know already will be addicted to this game for a while I had some questions about 2.0. My primary concern is whether 2.0 will be a free update and how bad the IAP purchases are going to be. I think charging for new tile sets is totaly justifiable and I MIGHT pay .99 for all character classes unlocked though. Just from this gamers lifetime, I become very cautious buying a game and then having to spend more $$$ to enjoy the full functionality of it. That's why some people still to this day play Diablo 2 and never jumped in on WoW. I guess I just would hate to see this game go the way of all those "Free" MMORPG games that are crippled from their full potential unless you shell out $$$.

My other big question that I still can't seem to find is the new potential release date of 2.0. Any rough ideas? Spring 2011? Tomorrow :D ?

I love the artwork and interface you have executed in this app, TOP NOTCH... 'cept the temple icons. I can't help but think of a NES gamepad every time I see a temple...

At any rate, great game and CANT WAIT to play 2.0! (I am hoping for enchanted weapons/armor and unique monsters!) You got a 5 star long winded review from me in the app store!

madgarden

Re: 2.0 Q&A

Post by madgarden » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Hey Silver.Band, glad to answer some questions for you. :)

OK, so first off... your iPad purchase won't go to waste. We will soon be making it a universal app, so you can soon play it on the iPhone also. And the iPad version will remain as a 1.x version, so just like you know it now. You'll *always* be able to go back to the classic play experience with Fargoal Legends. And we will also continue to improve and refine Legends as well as 2.0.

Now for 2.0... yes, it will be a free update! And it's a whopper. I've pretty much rewritten everything, and there are tons of reworked and new graphics and gameplay elements.

The IAP won't be "bad." We do have to make some money, and this may be a surprise to you, but we've hardly made any on Fargoal so far. Certainly not enough to pay for even *one* of our three team member's efforts (especially me :p). So, we need to find a way to keep this boat afloat. Even so, I think our IAP system will be pretty reasonable and fair, and it won't cripple the core play experience in any way... it will only extend it.

Yes, the new character classes will be IAP. For each IAP you'll get a male/female version of the character class. You will find a Ranger, Thief, and Magic User class waiting for you in 2.0, and more will be added. We're still sorting out the other details, but there will also be some specialty IAP items.

The game will have an armoury where you can gear up your hero before a quest by spending some of your *quest gold* (if you return with it from a quest, alive). So, you will be able to unlock new gear in the armoury when you encounter it in the dungeon just through normal playing, without spending any real money on IAP. We are also figuring out of a way to allow you to speed up the unlock with IAP, for the impatient types. :) Also, if one of your heroes dies, there will be a variety of ways to bring him back, but the quickest will be resurrection via IAP. Or, just let him rot like it has always been before. ;) So essentially, aside from specialty items, pretty much everything will be unlockable through normal play without needing to buy IAP.

If it goes well and we can afford to keep going, we will be adding more quests and special stuff as time goes on. I really have plans to give the game some unique elements that you just don't see in these sorts of games, and it will put the replayability and fun through the roof. Hope that all sounds good to you!

Thanks for the iTunes review. Hey, what's wrong with NES gamepads? ;) As for the release date, well we'd love to have it ready for Christmas, but there's a good chance we won't be ready. Still, if we miss that mark, it will be ready early January.
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

StevenP

Post by StevenP » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Madgarden, I was willing to pay for 2.0 since it is pretty much a new game. However, if you make the IAP compelling enough (and not just cheap shots or too gimicky which I believe they won't be) I will support your team as I am able.

As far as dungeon romps or rogue type game it is the best. Of all my games it is the most played game on my iPod easily (at least 80% of the time.) I have several other rogue games and they remain mostly unplayed. In fact, there is one called "100 something or other" (trying to be tackful :P) that is so unstable I won't even bother trying anymore. SoF is a very slick, stable, highly playable game - and highly frustrating - esp. when my sword keeps getting stolen (darn you madgarden!) ;)
I use to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure...

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Hey, yeah I will do my best to make sure that the IAP seems like a good deal... like I said, mostly specialty items and characters, and probably extra *game gold* so you can have fun kitting up in the armoury or paying for other game-related things we may add. There will be other quests too eventually, not just the main Sword quest, so there'll be lots of value using whatever IAP you've paid for. And even without getting any IAP, you'll still have the main Fighter characters and Sword quest and unlockables... lotsa good stuff.

As for the rest... heh heh heh... ;)
Follow me on Twitter @madgarden for more frequent Fargoal 2 progress updates! :P

Silver.Band

Post by Silver.Band » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Sounds great madgarden... I wasn't trying to come across as cheap or anything. :oops: ...and I think a money tree could be an awesome addition. Satirism was always a part of a roguelike. I was more concerned that this game is already on its way to being a classic in its own right based on how your team is evolving it... think of how these games evolved... Rogue/Moria/uMoria/Hack/NetHack/Slash'EM/Angband/ADOM etc. You get the picture. I was worried about it loosing some of its class/quality due to the IAP.

All the impliments you mentioned sound great except for paying for a resurrection... that's kind of what I was worried about as far as the integrity of what you have going already in your application and how IAP could muck it up. Us old schoolers call that "save scumming" ;) This "deplorable" act was done by making a back-up copy of a character file and over-writing the dead one. I am VERY guilty of that actually in roguelikes. I don't feel the need to since you already offer a mode that lets you get your stuff back. Yet, now I only want to play legit in Hero mode.

Believe me, I will be spending a few bucks in the IAP as well from what you mentioned. I would probably pay .99 for a char class and maybe $1.99 for a new goal/quest with 10 deeper dungeon levels and another boss. Just look how blizzard added the diablo expansion and how much it changed the game to make it legendary. I think this app has that same potential. Those old titles I mentioned didn't make a dime in retrospect. You have both going for you... be careful in the balance of it all!

***EDIT***
Oh yeah, had my first death and have no problem starting over again. I am still hooked. First time I didn't practice "save scumming" in a roguelike ;).

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:04 am

Yeah, I'm still not quite sure how I want to handle the resurrection stuff, since we have Squire mode in 1.x but things are a little different in 2.0. One thing you will be able to do though if you die, is create a new character and go questing in the exact same dungeon. So, you may be able to find the stuff that your previous hero had when he died, and hopefully not a reanimated corpse to boot. ;) You'll be able to quest in the dungeon even after it has collapsed into ruin. Perhaps new secrets will be exposed...

Silver.Band

Post by Silver.Band » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:38 am

Oh, I think it should always be a re-animated corpse :twisted: ! Make the player earn some of that gear back. Sounds truely awesome.

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Oh, that part is definitely going in. ;)

DonnyD

Post by DonnyD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 am

madgarden wrote: OK, so first off... your iPad purchase won't go to waste. We will soon be making it a universal app, so you can soon play it on the iPhone also. And the iPad version will remain as a 1.x version, so just like you know it now. You'll *always* be able to go back to the classic play experience with Fargoal Legends. And we will also continue to improve and refine Legends as well as 2.0.
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this. I think you are saying you will be able to play the iPad version on your iPhone which is cool, so I follow you there. What confuses me is when you say the iPad verison will stay a 1.x. Does this mean that the 2.0 update will only be available on the iPhone version and not the iPad? I'm not trying to be thick here. I just bought the iPad version last night and I love it. After finding out about 2.0 on here, I want to play it, preferably on my iPad. Am I understanding it correctly that the 2.0 won't ever be released for iPad?

Second, less dense question. I understand that you guys need to make money, hence the IAPs. Any chance you would offer a version that includes many of the IAPs already in it for a larger price?

madgarden

Post by madgarden » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Hey DonnyD... So for your first question, Fargoal 2.0 will also be on the iPad. Both versions are going universal. Currently there is the Chillingo-published "Legends" version which is for iPad (which you have bought), and there is the iPhone version. Both are currently 1.x. Here is the upgrade path:

Sword of Fargoal Legends 1.x (iPad) -> universal 1.x
Sword of Fargoal 1.x (iPhone) -> universal 2.0

If you buy both versions, you will then have 1.x and 2.x available to play on both iPhone and iPad. This is the best way we could figure to take everyone forward and give them the option to play either version, without releasing a NEW app for 2.0.

As for the IAP... we may have an IAP that will let you unlock everything, but we don't even know what all we're going to have as IAP yet. :) For sure there are the extra characters and some other specialty items, with more to come as it is updated.